Seal pup spotted on riverbank at Holywell
- Credit: Archant
Seal may have been caught out by rising river water
A dog walker sent us this photograph of a seal pup on a lagoon near the Old Ferry Boat Inn in Holywell.
He took the picture at 4pm on Thursday and by the same time the following day it has disappeared.
He said the river had been above the level of the moorings due to heavy rainful but had now dropped significantly, which may have caused it to become grounded.
The Hunts Post telephoned the UK Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme hotline number to report the seal and they explained the blue marking was evidence that they were aware of the animal.
You may also want to watch:
There have been several sightings of the seals on this part of the river over the years.
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
- 8 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 9 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 10 Huntingdon drug dealer caught with cannabis