Schools and colleges to re-open in full from September
- Credit: Archant
Children must be back at school from September – with social bubbles to keep year groups separate and the supply of home testing kits.
Gavin Williamson told MPs this morning (July 2) that “education recovery is critical for this generation” of school children.
The Education Secretary said the Government is working to ensure all pupils can return to schools and colleges full-time in September, noting: “With Covid-secure measures in place so they have the opportunity to thrive and fulfil their full potential.”
Mr Williamson said schools will continue minimising contact between children, including through grouping them in “bubbles” and encouraging older children to distance.
He continued: “As a minimum, this will mean keeping whole year groups in schools and colleges separate.
You may also want to watch:
“This is in addition to the other protective measures we know are so important for infection control, such as regular cleaning and hand washing.”
The Government will also provide all schools and colleges with a small number of home testing kits.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
These will be taken home by children or staff who develop symptoms while on site but who would struggle to access a testing centre.
“All schools will have direct access to support and advice from their local Public Health England health protection team to deal with any cases that may occur. They will be advised on what steps need to be taken,” Mr Williamson added.
WHAT DO YOU THINK? Do you feel confident about letting your children return to school? Do you think the new safety measures will work? Email: email@example.com.