Schoolboy meets Formula One drivers at Monaco Grand Prix after making a wish
- Credit: Archant
An eight-year-old boy from St Neots met world-famous racing drivers - including Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso - during a five-day trip of a lifetime.
Oscar Lynch, from Eaton Socon, attended the Monaco Grand Prix last weekend with his mum Hannah and three other youngsters who all had their wishes granted by the Starlight Children’s Foundation.
Oscar, a pupil at Crosshall Junior School, was born with severe spinal scoliosis, discovered at his mum’s 20-week scan, and other complications. He has undergone one operation to remove some hemivertabrae from the top curve in his spine and will likely need further surgery to correct the bottom curve, and straighten his spine. He is a regualar patient on Holly Ward at Hinchingbrooke Hospital and Great Ormond Street Hospital, in London.
“It was a truly amazing experience,” said Hannah.
“Oscar is an avid Formula One and Lewis Hamilton fan, and Lewis and the other drivers spent some much time with him and he even got to sit in the actual car that Lewis raced in on Sunday.”
You may also want to watch:
The charity, which raises funds to grant wishes to sick children, made sure the group had a good view of the racing and they enjoyed first class meals and a boat trip.
“We were sitting on the boat enjoying our food and suddenly David Coultard walk passed,” said Hannah.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 8 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 9 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
“He stopped to speak to Oscar and gave him his autograph. All the drivers stopped to speak to the Starlight and were happy to pose for photographs and give their autographs. It was totally unexpected.”
Oscar also interviewed Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen alongside Sky Sports presenter Natalie Pinkham after the qualifiers on Saturday. He chatted with David Coulthard and commentator David Croft. Tested Adrian Newy and Christian Horner on their timetables and attended a party at the Red Bull Energy Station, and met other drivers including Sebastian Vettel, Valterri Bottas, Fernando Alonso, Stoffel Vandoorne, Sergey Sirotkin, Lance Stroll, Pierre Gasly and Brendon Hartley.
INFO: www.starlight.org.uk. There is also a Starlight Facebook page.