Sawtry’s Legion fundraiser nets �1,000
DANCING displays, vintage vehicles and a barbecue helped Sawtry to mark the 90th anniversary of the Royal British Legion.
More than 200 people, including MP Shailesh Vara, attended a day of celebrations at Sawtry Ex-Servicemen’s Club on Saturday, when there were also displays of Second World War memorabilia, a Home Front exhibition and a stand from the Sawtry History Society.
Organisers estimate that they have raised more than �1,000 for the Royal British Legion.
There was a host of displays of items from the early days of the RBL, and visitors enjoyed discovering – or re-discovering – them and their past, while dancers gave a demonstration of traditional 1940s dancing to the crowds.
In the evening, guests had the chance to dance the night away themselves with the Caxton Swing Band.
Allan Fowler, who organised the day with Tony Nickerson and Stewart Wilie, thanked all those who brought displays, performed on the day or turned up to be entertained.
“It would not have been possible without them,” he said. “The whole day was a success, and we are very pleased with the outcome.”
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 BID's new Huntingdon town manager has plans for 2022
- 3 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 5 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 6 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 7 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 10 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products