Sawtry’s Legion fundraiser nets �1,000
DANCING displays, vintage vehicles and a barbecue helped Sawtry to mark the 90th anniversary of the Royal British Legion.
More than 200 people, including MP Shailesh Vara, attended a day of celebrations at Sawtry Ex-Servicemen’s Club on Saturday, when there were also displays of Second World War memorabilia, a Home Front exhibition and a stand from the Sawtry History Society.
Organisers estimate that they have raised more than �1,000 for the Royal British Legion.
There was a host of displays of items from the early days of the RBL, and visitors enjoyed discovering – or re-discovering – them and their past, while dancers gave a demonstration of traditional 1940s dancing to the crowds.
In the evening, guests had the chance to dance the night away themselves with the Caxton Swing Band.
You may also want to watch:
Allan Fowler, who organised the day with Tony Nickerson and Stewart Wilie, thanked all those who brought displays, performed on the day or turned up to be entertained.
“It would not have been possible without them,” he said. “The whole day was a success, and we are very pleased with the outcome.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan