Rotary club welcomes new president
- Credit: Archant
The Rotary Club of St Neots St Mary’s has appointed its new president, Vijay Patel, who has been a member of the group for more than 15 years.
Outgoing president, Mick Marks, presented his successor with the President’s Jewel at the beginning of July, before Mr Patel gave a specially commissioned tankard in return – a tradition the club has upheld since 1985.
After being appointed, Mr Patel said he wants to focus on increasing the group’s membership, which currently stands at 37.
He added: “I am looking forward to this year and my first event which will be the annual golf day, held on behalf of the town mayor of St Neots at Wyboston Lakes on August 13, shortly followed by the dragon boat festival on August 29.
“Both events always prove to be very popular, are organised in conjunction with St Neots Town Council, and both of which I hope will raise a substantial amount for my chosen charity.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Patel, who was born in the Gujurat region of India, moved to the UK when he was seven-years-old, and now works as an IT consultant.
His principle charity for his 12 months in office will be Life Education Cambridgeshire.
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 9 Reflect on the 'rich tints of Autumn' at open gardens this weekend
- 10 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need