Rob hoping to give back to care home which helped him get back in the saddle after accident
- Credit: Archant
A Warboys man who suffered a life-changing accident is to give back to a care home that helped him come to terms with his injuries.
Rob Cracknell, of Bottels Road, will take on a 308-mile cycle ride from London to Paris in aid of Fen House care home, in Ely.
In September 2012, Rob was visiting Barcelona and was hit by a motorbike as he was crossing a road.
“I was just walking back to the apartment, I should have used the pedestrian crossing but I got hit by a motorbike which meant I had to have brain surgery,” Rob said.
As a result of the accident, the 32-year-old suffered an injury to his leg, along with small cuts on the brain. He was kept in a Spanish hospital for three weeks before being taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, in Cambridge, and then to Fen House for six weeks.
“In the care home I was getting used to what had happened. It was making me aware of the changes following the accident,” added Rob.
“They built my confidence back up so I could carry on as normal.”
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 4 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 5 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 8 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 9 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 10 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
Since the collision, Rob has lost his sense of smell and taste but says he is lucky to be alive.
“I shouldn’t be here, looking back on the day I realise that the care home got me on the right tracks and taught me how to do things,” Rob said.
To help give back to Fen House he has been volunteering at the care home but he is now getting ready to pedal his way to pounds. Rob will join a group of other fundraisers in July to take on the cross-channel challenge to raise funds for the home.
He said: “I have done a marathon before but after giving up on running, biking is something different I can do.”
To prepare for the mammoth ride, which will take place over more than three days, Rob has been cycling from his home to his work in Huntingdon, along with extra training sessions at the weekend.
To donate, go to www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Rob-Cracknell3.