Road bridge could take the place of Offord Cluny level crossing
- Credit: Archant
A new road bridge across the railway at Offord Cluny could replace the level crossing, which has been earmarked for closure.
Network Rail wants to close all the crossings on the East Coast Main Line between London and Doncaster and is consulting on the proposed replacements.
The well-used route between the Offords and Buckden could be in line for a new link from Station Lane to the B1043, north of the village.
A footbridge could replace the footpath at nearby Gills Crossing.
The plans were discussed with the Offords Parish Council at a meeting earlier this month and full details are to be unveiled at a public exhibition at the Offords village hall on Saturday (July 19) and again on Thursday, July 24.
You may also want to watch:
Elsewhere, two options have been put forward for alternative road layouts at Holme, near Ramsey, where there are two crossings that could close.
Both new routes include a new bridge over the railway, one to the south of the existing Holme level crossing, and the other to the north of Short Drove, accessed via Yaxley Road.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
The two routes also both join up with the B660 Long Drove.
People have until August 8 to comment on the Holme plans, which also include the closure of the Conington north road and Yaxley Lode footpath crossings.
A final option for Holme will be drawn up and a further consultation is to take place later this year.
INFORMATION: Public exhibitions on the Station Lane crossing, and the footpath at Gills Crossing, are to be held at the Offords Village Hall from 11am-3pm on Saturday (July 19) and from 2-8pm on Thursday, July 24.
Network Rail representatives will be at the exhibitions to answer questions and explain the proposals.
To comment on Network Rail’s plans, email ECMLlevelcrossings @networkrail.co.uk. For more details, visit www.networkrail.co.uk/ECMLlevelcrossings.