Reverend to ride 300 miles in a bid to fundraise for mental health charity
- Credit: Archant
A St Ives man is set to embark on his biggest challenge yet in a bid to raise money for a mental health charity.
Reverend Matt Finch, of the Methodist Church in St Ives, is set to cycle from London to Paris to raise money for CALM, a charity that supports people with mental health.
As Matt is set to turn 40 in October, he said he wanted to set himself a challenge that would help others.
He said: “As a minister, I come into contact with many folks who have had their lives touched by the loss of a loved one.
“But nothing is more painful that someone taking their own life. This is especially high amongst men aged between 20-45years-old with one man taking their own live every rwo hours in the UK. It is the biggest killer in men of that age.
“So, I am riding for the amazing charity CALM as I am talking with more and more men who are struggling or finding it hard to talk about their feelings. So, if I raise awareness in a small way and get one person talking before it is too late I will feel the ride was worth it.”
Matt is also camping outside the church from June 15 to 17, to offer his support to people if they are feeling down and need a chat.
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Buckfest named as Cambridgeshire's best festival
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates
He said: “I am lucky that I have a lot of support around me, but I know that it isn’t the case with everyone.
“I find it more common now that there are a lot of men whot are struggling with identity, which is just really upsetting to see.”
The 300-mile London to Paris ride will take place from July 26 to 28, with Matt already having raised £728. However, he has set his sights on raising £1,450.
Matt added: “I know that both men and women take their lives, but recently I have come across more men that just don’t feel comfortable talking about their feelings and that needs to change.”
To sponsor Matt visit: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/revmattfinch.