Community groups come together to help revamp town bus station
- Credit: Archant
St Ives bus station has seen some improvements after Huntingdonshire District Council worked with St Ives in Bloom, the Norris Museum, Carers Trust and Spring Common Academy to upgrade the facilities.
The ‘bus station community project’ was set up to enhance the area and, over the past few months, the council has co-ordained a facelift of the site, including removal of surrounding vegetation, deep cleaning, and repairs to the notice board.
A mosaic mural showing scenes of the local area was also installed.
The mural was designed and worked on by local young careers and their families, supported by visitors to the town’s Norris museum and mosaic artist Audrey Montet.
The station sits on the site of the cattle market and the cattle-shaped willow sculptures and willow tree were made by students of Spring Common Academy. St Ives in Bloom added colourful new planters and surrounding plants to the gatehouses.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Jonathan Gray, executive councillor for resources, said, “The bus station project has been fantastic in bringing the community together. In revamping the site and designing the mural, confidence and friendships and resilience have been built.
“The footfall though the bus station is high and it is the first point of contact for many visitors coming to town. The work undertaken really has given the bus station a lift and the mural is a truly special, permanent addition to the town which will be seen by residents and visitors to St Ives for many years to come.”
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k