Restored Mini Super Deluxe fetches bumper price at auction
- Credit: Archant
A classic mini that was lovingly restored by a company in St Ives has a new home after raising thousands for Prostate Cancer UK at an auction.
The 1969 Morris Mini Super Deluxe, known as Margo, went under the hammer earlier this month after being returned to her former glory by Lancaster Insurance, based in Meadow Lane, and the MG Owners Club.
Following a frenzy of bids at the Classic Motor Show, held in Birmingham, Margo was eventually sold for £12,938 to collector Haydn Davies.
“As soon as I saw Margo in the press I knew she would be a perfect Christmas gift for my wife,” Mr Davies said.
“I travelled to the show especially to bid for Margo and to say I’m thrilled that we’re the new owner is an understatement, she is a true classic beauty. Knowing the money goes to a good cause tops it off.”
You may also want to watch:
The funds raised from the Mini restoration project will help fund ground-breaking research into prostate cancer.
Richard Morley, divisional head at Lancaster Insurance, said: “The auction was electrifying and we’re thrilled that Mr Davies was so passionate about being Margo’s new owner that he travelled all the way from Wales to Birmingham, and back again, in one day to be there.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
“We’re so pleased to have raised awareness and much needed funds for Prostate Cancer UK. A big thank you to everyone involved.”