Residents may have to pay to repair one of Cambridgeshire’s worst roads
- Credit: Archant
The debate over responsibility for a crumbling St Neots road which has not had any proper maintenance for about 40 years remains unresolved – and residents may need to pay to have it resurfaced.
Following a meeting with senior Highways Authority officers, county, district and town councillor Barry Chapman said there was still some confusion surrounding the ownership of West Street.
The Hunts Post reported two weeks ago how the street was in an appalling state with no sign of anyone stepping in to repair it.
CCC officers have offered to meet West Street Residents’ Association and, if it is eventually determined to be a private road, to advise them how they could get the road resurfaced.
Cllr Chapman said: “The situation is a little bit uncertain. It is certainly not an adopted road but the question is whether it is a private road or whether it is effectively a piece of land that isn’t a road. People have had a right of way over it for some time and it doesn’t appear in anyone’s deeds, but there is no proof that it is a private road.
You may also want to watch:
“People seem to have different views of what a private road is.”
Members of the association have suggested laying a mesh surface on the road and filling it with gravel, but Cllr Chapman said this may incur a cost to the residents.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
However, this method could mean the road is confirmed as a private road.