A woman and a man were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a house.

Firefighters from Huntingdon and Chatteris were sent to High Street, Somersham, just before midnight last night.

A fire had broken out in the living room, causing the residents to flee their home.

Watch commander Ben Fawcitt: "Our investigation shows a candle was the cause of the fire, which started in the front room in which one of the occupants was asleep.

"The residents were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarms and all managed to safely escape the house.

"There is no doubt that in this instance the early warning signal given by the smoke alarms assisted in reducing the damaged caused to the property by the fire and most probably saved the life of at least one resident.

"This highlights the dangers of leaving candles unattended - or lighting them when you are likely to fall asleep - and once again, we would ask residents take safety precautions before enjoying candles in their home."

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said a woman in her 40s and a man were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. She added neither required hospital treatment.