Residents flee Huntingdonshire home after candle starts fire in room where occupant slept
- Credit: Archant
A woman and a man were treated for smoke inhalation after a fire broke out in a house.
Firefighters from Huntingdon and Chatteris were sent to High Street, Somersham, just before midnight last night.
A fire had broken out in the living room, causing the residents to flee their home.
Watch commander Ben Fawcitt: “Our investigation shows a candle was the cause of the fire, which started in the front room in which one of the occupants was asleep.
“The residents were alerted to the fire by their smoke alarms and all managed to safely escape the house.
“There is no doubt that in this instance the early warning signal given by the smoke alarms assisted in reducing the damaged caused to the property by the fire and most probably saved the life of at least one resident.
“This highlights the dangers of leaving candles unattended – or lighting them when you are likely to fall asleep – and once again, we would ask residents take safety precautions before enjoying candles in their home.”
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Tobias Taylor earns GB call after second national schools boxing title
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said a woman in her 40s and a man were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene. She added neither required hospital treatment.