‘Rail could be Cambs A14 option’
A NEW Government-backed study into congestion problems in the A14 corridor in Cambridgeshire could report by the middle of next year, but there will be no cash to implement its findings before the next spending review in 2015/16.
A �1.2billion scheme to widen the road between Fen Drayton and Fen Ditton and build a new southern bypass for Huntingdon and Godmanchester between Ellington and Fen Drayton was abandoned last October when the Government grabbed back the earmarked cash to save money.
The new study will include rail and other public transport alternatives in the quest for “a credible and affordable alternative to the previous A14 scheme,” according to a statement today from a ‘campaign group’ of councils including Cambridgeshire, South Cambs and Huntingdonshire.
“The campaign group has now received a positive response from [Roads Minister] Mike Penning, who has taken them up on their offer to help Government find a solution that will keep local communities at the heart.
“In Mike Penning’s response he said the Government welcomed joint working and pledged to make Department for Transport resources available to lead the study.
You may also want to watch:
“As well as looking at road-based solutions, the Department for Transport has said it will also look at the potential for rail, other public transport and demand management approaches to help alleviate problems on the A14 – particularly in the vicinity of the previous scheme.”
- 1 Village was location of rail disaster and hosted music festival for many years
- 2 Huge queues and lots of excitement in Huntingdon this morning as shoppers return to the high streets
- 3 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 4 Litter picking hero Kym collects rubbish and a pogo stick!
- 5 Vegetable collections and hand sanitiser production was village's response to pandemic
- 6 Pubs with outdoor seating and details of how to book
- 7 What are the rules when pubs reopen on April 12
- 8 Former Huntingdon MP, Sir John Major, talks about how the Queen will cope without the Duke at her side
- 9 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 10 Man who drove at runner before crashing is disqualified