Radiography staff at Hinchingbrooke Hospital take part in national strike over pay
- Credit: Archant
Radiographers are the latest group of NHS staff to go on strike over the pay dispute with the Government.
Members of the Society of Radiographers (SoR) formed a picket line outside the main entrance of Hinchingbrooke Hospital in Huntingdon this morning (Monday) in a four-hour walkout.
SoR member Paul Newman, a radiographer at the hospital, said: “The Government is refusing to listen to the pay review body.
“We’re after a one per cent raise, at least - that’s not even in line with inflation.”
NHS Staff are angry that the Government has rejected a one per cent pay increase for all NHS employees and ruled out any rise in 2015.
Commenting on the strike, he added: “It’s quite sad really. I qualified in 1988 and we have never been on strike since then.
“For the Government to ignore the independent pay review body, that’s the saddest thing to accept.
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 6 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 7 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 9 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
“Not everybody supports what we’re doing but we’ve had a fairly good reaction.”
Mr Newman said two radiographers had volunteered to provide emergency cover but all routine x-rays had been cancelled and GPs had been warned not to send patients to the hospital that morning.
The strike, the first by the SoR since 1982, follows one last Monday (October 13) when members of Unison and other unions staged a four-hour walkout over pay and a protest organised by the TUC on Saturday in London.