Quick thinking mum and dad get children out of their burning house as smoke alarm saves the day
A MUM and dad acted quickly to get their children out of their smokelogged house after their washing machine caught fire in the early hours of the morning.
The parents heard the smoke alarm go off at their property in Stow Road, Spaldwick at 3.20am this morning (Thursday, August 23).
They woke their children up and got them outside before calling the fire service, who used a hose reel and a covering jet to extinguish the blaze.
“When crews arrived the house was heavily smoke logged with a rapidly developing fire in the kitchen,” station commander Bruce Parcell said.
“The fire was contained to the kitchen thanks to all doors and windows being closed.
“The quick thinking of the householders, as well as a working smoke alarm, saved any injury or further damage to the property.
“The smoke alarm woke up the parents who quickly got their children up and outside before calling the fire service.”
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Crews from Kimbolton and Huntingdon later ventilated the property and returned to their base by 7am.