Purse thieves steal hundreds of pounds from shoppers in St Neots
- Credit: Archant
Police have stepped up patrols in St Neots after hundreds of pounds were stolen from shoppers in the town yesterday (December 8).
The first incident took place between 11am and 11.30am when the purse of a 79-year-old woman was taken from her handbag, without her knowledge, in High Street, St Neots.
The purse contained about £630 cash as well as numerous debit and credit cards.
Between 12pm and 12.15pm thieves took another purse from the handbag of a 76-year-old woman, also in High Street.
The purse contained about £160 cash and credit and debit cards which were immediately used to withdraw a further £1,100 in cash.
You may also want to watch:
PC Carl Harris said: “We would like to reassure people that extra patrols are being carried out across the town and stores are being made aware of these two incidents.
“I would ask that people out shopping this Christmas remain vigilant. Consider using a handbag with a strap over the shoulder and ensure your purse or wallet is in a zipped up bag or inside coat pocket.”
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
Anyone with information about the thefts should call police on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.