Purse thieves steal hundreds of pounds from shoppers in St Neots
- Credit: Archant
Police have stepped up patrols in St Neots after hundreds of pounds were stolen from shoppers in the town yesterday (December 8).
The first incident took place between 11am and 11.30am when the purse of a 79-year-old woman was taken from her handbag, without her knowledge, in High Street, St Neots.
The purse contained about £630 cash as well as numerous debit and credit cards.
Between 12pm and 12.15pm thieves took another purse from the handbag of a 76-year-old woman, also in High Street.
The purse contained about £160 cash and credit and debit cards which were immediately used to withdraw a further £1,100 in cash.
PC Carl Harris said: “We would like to reassure people that extra patrols are being carried out across the town and stores are being made aware of these two incidents.
“I would ask that people out shopping this Christmas remain vigilant. Consider using a handbag with a strap over the shoulder and ensure your purse or wallet is in a zipped up bag or inside coat pocket.”
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 10 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
Anyone with information about the thefts should call police on 101, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.