Police warning after people spotted swimming at Houghton Lock
- Credit: Archant
Police have issued a warning not to swim in Houghton Lock during the current heatwave after reports of people trying to cool off at the beauty spot.
In a post on social media this afternoon (June 1), officers said emergency services may also find it difficult to get to the site due to “several complaints about parking”.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: “We’re urging the public to find alternative ways to cool down after continuing to receive reports of people swimming in Houghton Lock.
“Open water it is often colder than expected and can have potential hazards hidden below the surface.
“Emergency services can also find it difficult to get their vehicles to beauty spots, making it even more dangerous.
“There have been several complaints about parking in the area too so please be mindful of where you leave your car. We will continue to keep tabs on the area.”
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 3 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Huntingdon bookshop gets share of £2m online profits
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 8 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 9 Four doctors and a nurse off sick with Covid-19 at Fenland surgeries
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates