Police warning after people spotted swimming at Houghton Lock
- Credit: Archant
Police have issued a warning not to swim in Houghton Lock during the current heatwave after reports of people trying to cool off at the beauty spot.
In a post on social media this afternoon (June 1), officers said emergency services may also find it difficult to get to the site due to “several complaints about parking”.
A spokesperson for Cambridgeshire Police said: “We’re urging the public to find alternative ways to cool down after continuing to receive reports of people swimming in Houghton Lock.
“Open water it is often colder than expected and can have potential hazards hidden below the surface.
“Emergency services can also find it difficult to get their vehicles to beauty spots, making it even more dangerous.
You may also want to watch:
“There have been several complaints about parking in the area too so please be mindful of where you leave your car. We will continue to keep tabs on the area.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 9 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder