Police warn motorists ahead of Secret Garden Party this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of festival goers are set to descend on Abbots Ripton this week to say goodbye to the Secret Garden Party.
More than 30,000 people are expected to attend the event, with organisers saying it is the last time it will be held.
The roads are expected to be particularly busy in the Huntingdon area on Thursday (July 20), with motorists advised to leave extra time for journeys.
The event takes place from July 20 to Monday July 24. As well as congestion on the roads, local facilities, including the supermarkets and train station in Huntingdon, may also be busier than usual during this period.
Officers from Cambridgeshire police have been working closely with event organisers and the local authority to manage the event and minimise the impact it will have on the community.
You may also want to watch:
Superintendent Laura Hunt said: “Our top priority when policing this event is safety, both of local residents and those going to the festival.
“We also want to send a clear message to those who choose to use the event as an excuse to commit crime that their behaviour will not be tolerated.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 4 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
“As with previous years, we have been in regular contact with the festival organisers and the local authority to thoroughly plan our approach to policing the event. There will be extra officers on duty to ensure the festival does not impact on our ability to police the local area.”
The force’s Twitter account, @CambsCops, will be regularly updating throughout the festival.
Additional information on the Secret Garden Party and safety advice is available via www.cambs.police.uk/SGP.