Police step up patrols after copycat ‘scary clown’ spotted in Sawtry
- Credit: Archant
A person dressed as a clown with the intention of scaring people has been spotted in Sawtry.
Police officers are searching for the person after the clown was spotted in the Huntingdonshire village in the past week.
Clowns have been spotted around Cambridgeshire after the idea spread across social media following 22-year-old student Alex Powell’s antics in Northampton.
Sergeant Dave Savill said: “Cambridgeshire police has received a number of reports over the past week of a man in Sawtry who has been seen wearing a clown mask. The man has been seen in the street and also knocking on doors. I am aware of a number of rumours in the village and wanted to bring people up to speed on our investigation.
“It would appear that a new ‘craze’ is spreading across social media, this being for people to dress as clowns and attempt to scare people. I am aware of reports in both Cambridge and Wisbech in recent weeks but from carrying out some internet research this morning, I have also seen reports in Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire and the United States.
“At this stage, there appears to be nothing sinister in the motives of those taking part, however if they are reading this, I would strongly advise them to stop this activity now. We have received a number of calls this week from concerned parents and I am aware of disturbing rumours which are currently circulating the local schools. Given the level of local interest in this case, I will assure the public that we will take strong, positive action against those who we identify as being responsible-they are potentially committing offences under the Public Order Act.
“Officers from the local policing team will be patrolling in Sawtry this week to reassure the community and to deter further occurrences.”
- 1 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 2 Oliver Cromwell pub has had a brand new refurbishment
- 3 Man who died in St Neots crash is named
- 4 Garages to to be replaced by affordable housing
- 5 Family pay tribute to woman who died following St Ives crash
- 6 Could you give these pets a home?
- 7 Huntingdon Racecourse - surviving the pandemic and then came the floods!
- 8 St Ives Town Mayor visits The Filling Station and tries new Christmas Beer
- 9 Huntingdon town mayor supports launch of The Eclettica
- 10 A look at how people prepared for Christmas in the last 100 years