Police step in to help couple celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary
- Credit: Archant
A couple doing their weekly shop in St Ives were stopped by police on their way home, after officers discovered they were soon to celebrate their diamond wedding anniversary.
Michael and June Newman, of Pidley, visited their nearby Waitrose store on July 6 – a day ahead of their special day – before a staff member overheard their conversation and started planning a surprise.
“As we walked into the store we bumped into a friend and he told us about his friend’s 90th birthday, and we said we had milestone coming up too – our 60th wedding anniversary,” Mrs Newman told The Hunts Post.
“Someone at the desk must have heard us. We continued with our shopping and then a policewoman said to my husband as I was waiting to pay that she wanted to have a word with him.”
Mr Newman, who has served more than a half a century on his parish council, recognised the PCSO and thought nothing of it, until a staff member appeared.
“He knew her and thought it was something to do with that, but then he turned round and a Waitrose staff member said ‘I understand you’ve got a special day tomorrow’,” Mrs Newman added.
The couple, who have been shopping at the branch for 25 years, were given a celebratory card, a bouquet of flowers, and a bottle of champagne.
- 1 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 4 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 5 New parklet opens in St Ives
- 6 Ancient relics from Iron Age discovered during road upgrade
- 7 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 10 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
“We thought it was lovely,” said Mrs Newman.
The treats were presented by branch partners, Jeanette Hills and Jane Nice, with PSCO Jill Tiernan and her colleague Phil Davis in on the surprise too.
The pair married on July 7 1956, and have lived in Pidley ever since with Mr Newman working as a farmer.
They met at school in Wellingborough at just 16-years-old and have two children together – a son and a daughter.
Julie Garside, department manager, said: “Mr and Mrs Newman are very well-known in our store and within the community and it was lovely to be able to celebrate this incredibly special achievement with them.
“It was great to have Jill and Phil in on the surprise too. On behalf of myself and the whole branch team, we wish them many more happy years of marriage.”
The couple spent the week celebrating their anniversary with family and friends.