Police set to launch clamp down on motorists who use mobiles at the wheel
- Credit: Archant
Motorists who use a mobile phone while driving will be the target of a week-long operation starting on Monday (May 23).
Officers from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Road Policing Unit will be out looking for motorists breaking the law.
The operation coincides with a week-long campaign being conducted by the National Police Chiefs Council.
Driving while using a mobile phone is considered one of the ‘fatal four’ driving offences, along with speeding, not wearing a seatbelt and drink or drug driving.
Inspector Phil Bloor said: “People who use a mobile phone while driving not only put their life at risk, but the lives of others.
You may also want to watch:
“Studies have shown that your reaction times are 50 per cent slower if you use a mobile phone while driving and you are four times more likely to have a collision. Comparisons have been made to it impairing your ability to drive to a similar degree as driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
“Even careful drivers can be distracted by a call or text – and a split-second lapse in concentration could result in a crash.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 5 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 8 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 9 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
From January to the end of March this year 815 people were issued with tickets for driving while using a mobile phone across the three counties – Beds 168, Cambs 290 and Herts 357.