Police launch investigation after body of woman discovered in aftermath of Ramsey house fire
- Credit: Archant
An investigation has been launched after the body of a woman was discovered in the aftermath of a house fire in Ramsey.
Cambridgeshire police were called shortly after 6.30am to Star Lane after firefighters discovered the body of a woman in a ground floor room.
Officers are treating the death as unexplained pending further investigation.
Fire crews from Ramsey, Stanground and Whittlesey were called to the incident by a member of the public who, according to Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service, “believed someone was in the property”.
The spokesman said: “The ground floor of a two-storey semi-detached house was well alight when crews arrived.
You may also want to watch:
“An additional crew from Huntingdon along with a command support unit also attended. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus forced entry to the house and began searching whilst firefighting with hose reels and jets.
“The fire had spread to both floors of the house. Firefighters found the body of an elderly woman in a downstairs room.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
The spokesman added that a full fire investigation would be carried out to determine the cause of the blaze.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “An ambulance crew, ambulance officer, Hazardous Area Response Team and a response car from Magpas attended. Sadly, an elderly woman died at the scene.”