Police crackdown on anti-social gatherings in Papworth
NUISANCE drivers have been targeted in a crackdown against anti-social gatherings in Papworth.
Since January officers have received reports of large groups of motorists gathering on business parks, in car parks and driving in convoys between rural villages in South Cambs, specifically Papworth.
Following these complaints from residents, the roads policing unit and local officers have run a series of operations to try and stop these anti-social gatherings.
While these meetings are lawful, if the vehicles are used in an anti-social way, officers have the power to seize the vehicles.
Sergeant Paul Rogerson said: “We have the power to seize vehicles but only if they’re driving in a way that creates noise and nuisance to residents.
You may also want to watch:
“If this is the case, then let us know the registration numbers and descriptions of drivers and we can prosecute these drivers.
“These gatherings are causing a misery to local residents and our aim is to make the Papworth area an inhospitable place for those motorists wishing to break the law and cause a nuisance.”
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
Officers are working with local businesses to prosecute those who trespass and cause damage to private car parks.
CONTACT: If you are concerned about anti-social drivers in your area, call police on 101 giving details about the vehicle such as registration, make and colour, and a description of the driver.