Police commissioner pledges to get to grips with rural crime
- Credit: Archant
Police and crime commissioner, Jason Ablewhite, met with farmers and rural businesses to better understand the impact of rural crime in the county.
The commissioner was joined by Hannah Padfield, National Farmers Union Cambridgeshire county advisor, and Stefan Gidlow and Stephen Juggins from Cambridgeshire Countryside Watch to learn more about the knock-on effect of such crimes.
Mr Ablewhite said: “The visit was a timely opportunity for me to understand the devastating effect rural crime can have on communities as I pull together my police and crime plan.
“Rural crime continues to be a big problem in Cambridgeshire, threatening local livelihoods, putting pressure on policing resources and increasing the fear of crime within our rural communities.
“It’s more important than ever that we work together to continue to address this threat.”
The constabulary set up a Rural Crime Action Team in 2015 as a response to concerns from the local community.
Chief Inspector James Sutherland said: “A strong message is being sent to criminals – Cambridgeshire is closed to hare coursers – we will seize your cars, your phones, your dogs and send you to court.”
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 4 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 7 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 10 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
The dedicated team of rural officers combat hare coursing and poaching, as well as using specialist knowledge to deal with other aspects of rural crime including plant and tractor theft, heritage crime, arson, wildlife crime and illegal raves.