Police arrest Ramsey man in Andrew Bedford murder inquiry after discovery of bones
- Credit: Archant
A 64 year-old man from Ramsey has been arrested this morning as part of an investigation into the murder of Andrew Bedford after bones were discovered during a search of Stocking Fen Road.
The bones were discovered by scenes of crime officers, forensic scientists and detectives during the 13-day search, which began on land off Stocking Fen Road in April.
Experts have confirmed the bones are consistent with being human.
A cold case called Operation Ongar was re-launched on April 10 by the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit to re-investigate the death of Andrew, who was last seen 25 years ago on Friday, September 28, 1990, at Factory Bank, off Great Whyte, Ramsey.
This morning (June 17) a 64 year-old man from Ramsey was arrested at his home on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and has been taken to a Cambridgeshire police station.
You may also want to watch:
DCI Martin Brunning, who is leading the murder inquiry, said: “The bones were discovered during a painstaking search of the area we had identified as being of interest.”
“An expert in forensic anthropology has assisted the investigation and the bones will now subject to DNA testing and much more intrusive forensic analysis. Forensic processes have evolved significantly in the last 25 years.”
- 1 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 2 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 3 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Former Stevenage midfielder is the new manager of Eynesbury Rovers
- 7 St Neots schoolgirl takes on bike ride for Children in Need
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
DCI Brunning said the re-launch of the investigation in April had already received an encouraging response from the public but the answers the inquiry was seeking still lie within the local community.
He said: “I want to bring anyone involved in Andrew’s death to justice and provide critical closure for his family, who have always desperately hoped for his return. Unsolved murder cases are never closed and we will leave no stone unturned.
“I am confident that local people have the additional information we need to provide Andrew’s family with the resolution they so rightly deserve, so I would urge anyone who thinks they can help us to come forward. This is your opportunity to make a difference to so many people affected by Andrew’s disappearance.
“All information given to us will be dealt with sensitively and, alternatively, people can contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.”
Andrew, 27, was last seen in a light blue Ford Cortina estate car eating some takeaway food, possibly fish and chips.
Andrew, then of Tweed Street, Huntingdon, was wearing overalls, a khaki jumper, jeans and trainers and was described as 5’8”, of medium build, with mousey blond, curly, shoulder-length hair and various tattoos.
Andrew was a reported missing by his girlfriend on Saturday, September 29, 1990 after failing to return home as planned. Detectives believe Andrew was killed on the Friday evening and he had been seen by a number of people in the town until the early evening.
Anyone with information should contact the Major Crime Unit on 01480 422791, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.