Planning application submitted for Morrisons in St Ives
- Credit: Archant
A planning application for a new supermarket in St Ives has been submitted by Morrisons and Endurance Estates.
As reported in The Hunts Post, Morrisons wants a foodstore and fuel station between Needingworth Road and Harrison Way, next to the Marsh Harrier.
This week the supermarket chain sent planning documents to Huntingdonshire District Council. More than 600 people visited public exhibitions held in the town, with 80 per cent in favour of the plans, that would create about 250 jobs.
One change Endurance made was the inclusion of a noticeboard to promote town centre events and community activities.
Negotiations with bus company Whippet are underway to reroute service 12 and busway route C via the store to the town centre.
You may also want to watch:
They are also financially supporting a new 12A bus service which will mean six buses pass the store a day.
James Smith, Morrisons development executive, thanked people for their feedback.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 10 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
“Many people told us they would like more food shopping choice in the area.
“They currently have to travel outside St Ives for this, which is in line with the findings of recent retail shopping studies.
“We are confident our proposal will help reverse this trend, and make St Ives a more attractive place to shop.”
Tim Holmes of Endurance Estates, added: “We were able to outline the benefits of bringing Morrisons to St Ives not only in shopping choice and convenience but also in terms of the jobs generated and improvements to public transport.
“An enormous amount of effort has been made to clearly identify specific issues including traffic congestion and flood risk.”
A decision is expected in the Spring.