Pictures: Saffron Walden welcomes the Tour de France riders
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people crowded the streets of Saffron Walden as the Tour de France riders were given a heroes welcome earlier today (Monday).
Entering the town via Windmill Hill, Britain’s Chris Froome was part of the peloton which made its way down the High Street, George Street and Hill Street.
After racing past the fire station and through the centre of town, the riders left Saffron Walden via East Street and Radwinter Road.
The fleeting visit was celebrated with a huge roar as the crowds of people erupted in jubilation at seeing the world’s top cyclists.
First up, the Tour caravan arrived in Saffron Walden about two hours before the competitors.
You may also want to watch:
The anticipation grew as the morning went on, with lots of entertainment to add to the crowd’s excitement, until revellers finally got a taste of what they had been waiting for.
People went wild, waving flags and cheering on the peloton all the way through Saffron Walden.
- 1 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 2 ‘The most glamorous christening the vicar had ever seen!’
- 3 Man in his 80s dies in fatal Buckden Road crash at Brampton
- 4 Concerns over planned travel hub at railway station
- 5 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
- 6 Drug dealer who 'exploited vulnerable people' linked to 101 wraps of cocaine
- 7 Awards for firm celebrating 10th anniversary
- 8 Police find string of ponies in middle of Cambridgeshire road
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Computing pioneer Sir Clive Sinclair who had links to St Ives dies aged 81
The cyclists then headed towards Radwinter, Great Sampford, Finchingfield and Felsted, before making their way towards the capital.
Britain’s final stage finished on The Mall in London.
Millions of people have taken the rare opportunity to savour the famous event, which began in Leeds on Saturday, dotted along the roadside between Yorkshire and London.
Here is a selection of photos from Saffron Walden.
To see more, grab a copy of this Thursday’s Saffron Walden Reporter.
• See the rest of our galleries, including pictures of the crowds across Uttlesford, via the Tour de France section of our website.