Pictures: Saffron Walden welcomes the Tour de France riders
- Credit: Archant
Thousands of people crowded the streets of Saffron Walden as the Tour de France riders were given a heroes welcome earlier today (Monday).
Entering the town via Windmill Hill, Britain’s Chris Froome was part of the peloton which made its way down the High Street, George Street and Hill Street.
After racing past the fire station and through the centre of town, the riders left Saffron Walden via East Street and Radwinter Road.
The fleeting visit was celebrated with a huge roar as the crowds of people erupted in jubilation at seeing the world’s top cyclists.
First up, the Tour caravan arrived in Saffron Walden about two hours before the competitors.
You may also want to watch:
The anticipation grew as the morning went on, with lots of entertainment to add to the crowd’s excitement, until revellers finally got a taste of what they had been waiting for.
People went wild, waving flags and cheering on the peloton all the way through Saffron Walden.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 8 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
The cyclists then headed towards Radwinter, Great Sampford, Finchingfield and Felsted, before making their way towards the capital.
Britain’s final stage finished on The Mall in London.
Millions of people have taken the rare opportunity to savour the famous event, which began in Leeds on Saturday, dotted along the roadside between Yorkshire and London.
Here is a selection of photos from Saffron Walden.
To see more, grab a copy of this Thursday’s Saffron Walden Reporter.
• See the rest of our galleries, including pictures of the crowds across Uttlesford, via the Tour de France section of our website.