Petition to stop coffee chain plan launched by villagers
- Credit: Archant
ion has been launched to stop plans for a ‘drive-thru’ Starbucks in Cambourne.
Morrisons supermarket has submitted an application to South Cambridgeshire District Council to change the use of part of its car park, in Broad Street, into a branch of Starbucks.
The petition was started by a customer of the coffee shop Greens Coffee and Co, amid worries that a Starbucks could have a detrimental affect on smaller shops in the area.
Debbie and Dan Streek, owners of Greens Coffee and Co, which is located in High Street, said they had no idea about the plans until one of their customers mentioned it.
Dan said: “I found out about the plans when one of my customers came up to me and told me. We are an independent business and we have a lot of regular and loyal customers. Although we aren’t worried about our customers going elsewhere, it is worrying that such a large business is allowed to make an application like this.
“I think it will have some impact on us, especially the drive-thru aspect as we can’t provide that. I have been a resident in Cambourne for the past 16 years and I know that most residents would rather have a post office than a Starbucks, it just doesn’t really have a place here.”
The petition has 621 signatures so far, with people raising concerns about the impact the Starbucks could have on the village.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 3 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 4 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 5 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 8 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 9 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Tobias Taylor earns GB call after second national schools boxing title
The planning application says: “The current proposals involve the redevelopment of the north eastern extent of the existing Morrisons car park to provide a Starbucks drive-thru coffee with car parking, drive thru-lane, hard and soft landscaping, refuse area and associated works.”
The new outlet would be located towards the eastern edge of the site and would be around 167sqm.
The proposal would use up 57 car parking spaces within the car park, but the plans state that an additional 57 car parking spaces will be provided elsewhere.
The application, which was submitted on October 3, will be out for public consultation until November 8.
To sign the petition visit: www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/204/300/151.