Petition to stop coffee chain plan launched by villagers
- Credit: Archant
ion has been launched to stop plans for a ‘drive-thru’ Starbucks in Cambourne.
Morrisons supermarket has submitted an application to South Cambridgeshire District Council to change the use of part of its car park, in Broad Street, into a branch of Starbucks.
The petition was started by a customer of the coffee shop Greens Coffee and Co, amid worries that a Starbucks could have a detrimental affect on smaller shops in the area.
Debbie and Dan Streek, owners of Greens Coffee and Co, which is located in High Street, said they had no idea about the plans until one of their customers mentioned it.
Dan said: “I found out about the plans when one of my customers came up to me and told me. We are an independent business and we have a lot of regular and loyal customers. Although we aren’t worried about our customers going elsewhere, it is worrying that such a large business is allowed to make an application like this.
You may also want to watch:
“I think it will have some impact on us, especially the drive-thru aspect as we can’t provide that. I have been a resident in Cambourne for the past 16 years and I know that most residents would rather have a post office than a Starbucks, it just doesn’t really have a place here.”
The petition has 621 signatures so far, with people raising concerns about the impact the Starbucks could have on the village.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
The planning application says: “The current proposals involve the redevelopment of the north eastern extent of the existing Morrisons car park to provide a Starbucks drive-thru coffee with car parking, drive thru-lane, hard and soft landscaping, refuse area and associated works.”
The new outlet would be located towards the eastern edge of the site and would be around 167sqm.
The proposal would use up 57 car parking spaces within the car park, but the plans state that an additional 57 car parking spaces will be provided elsewhere.
The application, which was submitted on October 3, will be out for public consultation until November 8.
To sign the petition visit: www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/204/300/151.