Petition started to stop street drinking in notorious Huntingdon spot
A MOTHER-OF-SIX is so disgusted at street drinking in a Huntingdon shopping centre that she has started a petition to get it banned.
Sheena Earley decided to take action after walking to the shops at Oak Drive, Oxmoor, at 8.15am and seeing a group of men drinking.
She said. “It is really intimidating to see a group of drunk men in a space like that. It also terrifies pensioners.
“I don’t want my 10-month-old girls or my eight-year-old boys to see that on their way to and from school – it sets a bad example. I don’t drink around my children because of that.”
Ms Earley, 44, of Nene Road, put petitions in St John’s Primary School and in the dentist and doctor’s surgeries in the Oak Tree Centre, and so far has 100 signatures.
You may also want to watch:
On The Hunts Post community website streetlife.com support for a ban on street drinking has been strong.
Lorna K said: “Some of my friends find it intimidating when they have to walk past these groups in the mornings while taking their children to school.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 9 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
“A friend had to walk past a group of five or six young men who were all drinking alcohol at 8.30am, and felt intimidated.”
Cambridgeshire police are working with partner agencies to secure exclusion areas, preventing the consumption of alcohol.
A spokesman said: “We have received concerns around people drinking in these areas.
“We are working with Huntingdonshire District Council to develop posters in four languages that are to be put up asking for people to be considerate to others who want to use the areas.”
INFORMATION: A copy of the petition will be in the Hunts Post office if you want to support the ban.