Petition signed by thousands in support of Cromwell Museum handed in at Shire Hall
- Credit: Archant
A petition has been delivered to Shire Hall demanding Cambridgeshire County Council rethinks its plans to axe funding for the Cromwell Museum.
The Friends of the Cromwell Museum have led a campaign to seek assurances over the Huntingdon asset’s future finances, after the county proposed scrapping its financial support.
Group members handed over the petition, signed by more than 3,000 people, this afternoon to county council leader Councillor Martin Curtis and cabinet member for education and learning, Councillor David Harty.
Under the authority’s rules, the petition, having exceeded the 3,000-signature mark, will force a debate on the matter.
Cllr Harty said: “We’d like to thank the Cromwell campaign for bringing the petition to us.
You may also want to watch:
“We will now use this interest from the community to debate the issue of the future of the museum at Full Council on February 18.
“We continue to work with the Friends of the Cromwell Museum to explore options of alternative management – and we hope the strength of feeling shown through this petition can be used to achieve this goal.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 5 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
As part of its business plan, due to be agreed on February 18, the county has suggested it can make annual savings, starting with £20,000 in 2015/16, if it withdraws the museum’s funding.
An externally funded review of future options for running the High Street attraction has been commissioned, but is not due to report its findings until April.
Campaigners want the county to postpone any decision on funding until after the review has been completed.