Pensioner guilty of �18,000 benefit fraud
A 76-YEAR-OLD benefit cheat who claimed more than �18,000 he was not entitled to has avoided jail.
Magistrates sentenced Joseph Stone, of Queensway, St Neots, to 80 hours of unpaid work for fraudulently claiming benefits totalling �18,427 over a five-year period.
He had claimed benefits based on his state pension since 2002, but started full-time work in 2005 and worked for a variety of employers over the next five years, hiding the work from Huntingdonshire District Council and the DWP.
Stone was given a 12-month community order and ordered to pay costs of �440 when he appeared at Huntingdon Magistrates’ Court last Tuesday (December 13).
Magistrates gave him credit for his guilty plea, co-operation and repayment of the money.
You may also want to watch:
On the same day, Lee Zander, 38, of Charles Close, Ramsey, was sentenced after pleading guilty to four charges of benefit fraud between 2009 and 2010.
Zander had claimed benefit in 2008 while in receipt of incapacity benefit and from 2009 based on job seeker’s allowance, but failed to report to the authorities that he had worked through a recruitment agency from July 2009 until October 2010.
- 1 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 8 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 9 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 10 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
He had been overpaid �3,142, and has since made arrangements to repay it.
He received a 24-month conditional discharge and was ordered to pay the council’s costs of �240.