Papworth Everard station to go to auction to “protect frontline policing”
- Credit: Archant
Papworth Everard’s former police station is being put up for sale.
The building in Ermine Street South closed six years ago when a new £1.4 million station for the force opened around three miles away in Cambourne.
Local auctioneers Cheffins have confirmed the empty station will go to auction on Wednesday, March 2, with a guide price of £250,000.
Deputy police and crime commissioner for Cambridgeshire Brian Ashton has said that the sale of the building is a part of the constabulary’s review of assets in order to “protect frontline policing”.
He said: “The building has been surplus to requirement for some time with the local policing team relocating to the new Cambourne Police Station in 2010. The sale will help towards protecting frontline policing.”
You may also want to watch:
Currently the site features two single-storey brick buildings and a garage but earlier this month South Cambridgeshire District Council granted outline planning permission to demolish all buildings and replace them with two new homes.
Cheffins’ auctioneer Ian Kitson said: “The 0.32 acre site is located on the southern outskirts of Papworth Everard, surrounded by residential properties of varying ages and types.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
“It has outline planning permission for two residential dwellings and is sure to appeal to those who want a high quality development opportunity in a well-regarded village outside Cambridge.”
It is the second auction running in which Cheffins has marketed a site for Cambridgeshire Constabulary, having previously sold a former police interview facility in Bottisham for £505,000 - £80,000 more than the guide price.
The auction is taking place from 2pm on Wednesday, March 2 at Clifton House, Clifton Road, Cambridge.