Oxford to Cambridge expressway project cancelled
- Credit: HIGHWAYS ENGLAND
The Oxford to Cambridge expressway project has been formally cancelled as the Transport Secretary looks at alternative plans for improving transport within the region.
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has today (March 18) announced the cancellation of the ‘Ox-Cam expressway’, after analysis confirmed the proposed project was not cost-effective.
Highways England had been developing potential options for a road link between Oxford and Milton Keynes. However, following close work with local partners since 2014, recent analysis shows that the benefits the road would deliver are outweighed by the costs associated with the project.
Building on the insight already developed by Highways England, the Department for Transport will now investigate the need for more targeted road interventions in the area, recognising the vital role that transport investment has to support sustainable growth in the region, as noted by the National Infrastructure Commission.
The department will work closely with Highways England and England’s Economic Heartland, as the Sub-national Transport Body to develop a study on proposals which will also support the Spatial Framework.
The East West Rail scheme remains central to providing critical infrastructure within the Oxford-Cambridge Arc, with it not only improving connectivity but also bringing new jobs and opportunities to people in the area.
In January, the Government announced a £760 million funding commitment to deliver the next phase of East West Rail, which will create 1,500 skilled jobs, and reinstate direct rail services between Bicester and Bletchley for the first time since 1968.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Car rolled in crash on A14
- 3 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 4 Sir John Major to answer questions at Infected Blood Inquiry
- 5 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 6 John Major's 'bad luck' comment is 'absolutely disgraceful' says son of victim
- 7 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 8 Garden railway raises money for 3 Pillars
- 9 A charity football match involving a mixed Polish and Ukrainian team aims to raise funds for Ukraine
- 10 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said: “The Oxford-Cambridge Arc is home to cutting-edge research, globally-renowned science and technology clusters, and some of the most productive places in the country – we want to make sure it has transport fit for such an important region.
“Our analysis shows the expressway cannot deliver such links in a way that provides value for money for the taxpayer, so I have taken the decision to cancel the project. But we remain committed to boosting transport links in the area, helping us to create jobs and build back better from Covid.
“We will continue to work on more targeted, localised road improvements to boost transport in the region, alongside the transformational East West Rail, in which we have invested £760m to deliver the next phase.”
In February, the Government launched the process for developing a long-term Oxford-Cambridge Arc Spatial Framework, including transport policy, for local and national planning and to inform investment decisions so that together, the Government, local authorities and communities can unlock the long-term potential of the area in a sustainable way, improving Arc as a place to live and work.