More than 250 letters delivered to hospital patients during pandemic
- Credit: Archant
The Trust which runs Hinchingbrooke and Peterborough City hospitals has had an overwhelming response to its ‘Letters from Loved Ones’ initiative, since it launched in April.
The North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust, which is also responsbile for Peterborough City and Stamford and Rutland hospitals has received more than 250 letters for patients and is appealing for more.
Visiting is currently restricted due to infection control, but families and friends have been able to keep in touch with patients on wards during the pandemic by sending them get well messages and family photos.
Staff have them printed and laminated and then hand the letters and photos to the patient to keep.
Jo Bennis, chief nurse at the Trust, said: “Receiving letters of support from loved ones has made a real difference to patients, reminding them that, despite not being allowed visitors, they are not alone. We have also received lots of positive feedback from relatives, who have found comfort in the knowledge that their words can be passed on.
You may also want to watch:
“Sadly some patients will be receiving palliative care and while we try to give the family the chance to say goodbye in person, the risk to them is sometimes too great, especially if they have an underlying health condition. These letters provide them with the opportunity to say goodbye.”
One gentleman who wrote several letters to his elderly mother during her hospital stay said: “Thank you so much for passing on my emailed letter to my mother; although she was very sleepy and eventually succumbed to Covid-19, I believe she would have heard and been comforted by hearing from her family.”
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
Messages can be sent via email:firstname.lastname@example.org – please ensure your email includes the patient’s name, hospital name, the ward they are being cared for on and the bay they are in (if known).
If your loved one is at Hinchingbrooke Hospital, please address your letter to:
Letters For Loved Ones
Patient Experience Team
C/o Head of Patient Experience
Letters For Loved Ones at Peterborough City Hospital
Patient Experience Team
Peterborough City Hospital