Overheated phone charger sparked house fire in Brampton
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters have issued a warning after a mobile phone charger caught fire at a home in Brampton.
Crews from Huntingdon and St Neots were called to a blaze in Thrapston Road, at about 9.40am on February 28.
Firefighters arrived to find a fire on the first floor of a two-storey house. Wearing breathing apparatus they extinguished the fire using a hose reel and cleared the smoke using a positive pressure ventilation fan.
Watch commander Jon Wade said: “We arrived to find a small fire in a bedroom with flames visible from outside. The occupants had safely evacuated before we arrived.
“The fire was located in a first floor bedroom, which was being used as an office. A cordless phone charger had overheated and set fire to the desk and the curtains in the room, causing damage to the desk and the area around the window.
You may also want to watch:
“Incidents like this are a reminder to not leave any kind of phone charger on for longer than needed. Electrical equipment should be switched off when fully charged, unless it is designed to be left on, like fridges or freezers.”
The crews returned to their station by 11am.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 6 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 7 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 8 Manager of BID Huntingdon is retiring after 11 years of service
- 9 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 10 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school