‘Outstanding’ entries make Alconbury Show a success
- Credit: Archant
Three huge pumpkins were among the attractions at Alconbury and District Show, which had some excellent entries in the fruit and vegetable sections.
About 200 people visited the show at the Memorial Hall in Alconbury and saw the standout displays of beetroot, potatoes and marrows, as well as the giant pumpkins.
Liz Gabriolek, from the show, said: "Arrangements of herbs in jam jars were also outstanding and filled the hall with wonderful aromas.
"There were wonderful displays of flowers and flower arrangements, including some amazing huge dahlias and specimen roses. Flower arrangements included the theme of Strictly Glamour and Glitz and were beautifully created with such talent and imagination."
She added: "Lovely children's entries included miniature gardens, painted pebbles and chocolate nests. The teenage section included some lovely flapjack.
"The show had a great atmosphere, full of community spirit and some friendly competition."
Liz said the home produce section was very well supported with a variety of baking and preserves and some very good homemade wines. Handicrafts had some "beautiful" embroidery and cross-stitch, with a bird-themed section including one carved out of a tree trunk, and the photographic category had some excellent entries in themes of sunsets, bridges and local village life.
- 1 Evidence of Huntingdon's past revealed during excavations
- 2 Bypass and junction improvements preferred plan for St Ives
- 3 BID's new Huntingdon town manager
- 4 Camp Beagle protestor has charges against him dropped
- 5 Supermarkets issue urgent product recall after salmonella found in products
- 6 Plumbing ringleader who ‘traded under multiple names’ jailed
- 7 St Neots man in court on drugs charges
- 8 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 9 Horrible deja vu for Gill as St Neots Town find another way to miss victory
- 10 Anglian Water seeks funding to secure the future of an ancient Sea Monster