‘Outstanding’ entries make Alconbury Show a success
- Credit: Archant
Three huge pumpkins were among the attractions at Alconbury and District Show, which had some excellent entries in the fruit and vegetable sections.
About 200 people visited the show at the Memorial Hall in Alconbury and saw the standout displays of beetroot, potatoes and marrows, as well as the giant pumpkins.
Liz Gabriolek, from the show, said: "Arrangements of herbs in jam jars were also outstanding and filled the hall with wonderful aromas.
"There were wonderful displays of flowers and flower arrangements, including some amazing huge dahlias and specimen roses. Flower arrangements included the theme of Strictly Glamour and Glitz and were beautifully created with such talent and imagination."
She added: "Lovely children's entries included miniature gardens, painted pebbles and chocolate nests. The teenage section included some lovely flapjack.
You may also want to watch:
"The show had a great atmosphere, full of community spirit and some friendly competition."
Liz said the home produce section was very well supported with a variety of baking and preserves and some very good homemade wines. Handicrafts had some "beautiful" embroidery and cross-stitch, with a bird-themed section including one carved out of a tree trunk, and the photographic category had some excellent entries in themes of sunsets, bridges and local village life.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 7 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester