‘Outstanding’ entries make Alconbury Show a success
- Credit: Archant
Three huge pumpkins were among the attractions at Alconbury and District Show, which had some excellent entries in the fruit and vegetable sections.
About 200 people visited the show at the Memorial Hall in Alconbury and saw the standout displays of beetroot, potatoes and marrows, as well as the giant pumpkins.
Liz Gabriolek, from the show, said: "Arrangements of herbs in jam jars were also outstanding and filled the hall with wonderful aromas.
"There were wonderful displays of flowers and flower arrangements, including some amazing huge dahlias and specimen roses. Flower arrangements included the theme of Strictly Glamour and Glitz and were beautifully created with such talent and imagination."
She added: "Lovely children's entries included miniature gardens, painted pebbles and chocolate nests. The teenage section included some lovely flapjack.
You may also want to watch:
"The show had a great atmosphere, full of community spirit and some friendly competition."
Liz said the home produce section was very well supported with a variety of baking and preserves and some very good homemade wines. Handicrafts had some "beautiful" embroidery and cross-stitch, with a bird-themed section including one carved out of a tree trunk, and the photographic category had some excellent entries in themes of sunsets, bridges and local village life.
- 1 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week
- 2 Godmanchester Rapist is jailed for 15 years
- 3 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 4 All UK adults to be offered Covid vaccine by September, says Government
- 5 Flood warnings issued as police receive multiple calls
- 6 Housing first battleground in mayor elections for Cambridgeshire
- 7 GP surgeries in Huntingdon and Papworth start vaccine roll-out
- 8 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 9 Man rescued from car stuck in Tilbrook flooding
- 10 Man who invited children to use his hot tub breached police order