Online appeal results in return of Huntingdon man’s lost wedding ring
- Credit: Archant
A husband has been reunited with his wedding ring which he presumed he would never see again after losing it.
Scott Chandler’s gold band, which had ‘I love you’ engraved on the inside, slipped off his finger earlier this month and he thought it was lost for good.
But thanks to a Facebook appeal, The Hunts Post and a large portion of good fortune, he has it back.
A relieved Scott, of Kent Road, Huntingdon, said: “I was really surprised. I didn’t realise I had lost it until last Monday (February 16).”
Mr Chandler, who has been married to Wendy for nine years, added: “I got some grief for it. Wendy was ready to march me down to buy a new one.”
You may also want to watch:
Meanwhile, unbeknown to the Chandlers, the ring had been discovered by Joe Stanley, of Huntingdon.
“I found it in a 25ft skip full of hardcore at Alconbury tip,” he said. “I had reached over to throw some bits in and right in the corner I could see what I thought was a washer but I had a closer look and it was a ring.”
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
He added: “You’d be gutted if you lost it, especially when you read the inscription.”
Keen to find the owner, Mr Stanley rang The Hunts Post to see if anyone had reported one missing.
By coincidence, later the same day a member of the paper’s team spotted a post on the We Grew Up on the Oxmoor Facebook page, put up just two days earlier by Scott’s wife Wendy, appealing for help to find the ring.
Mrs Chandler was contacted and the lost ring was handed over the following day (Friday, February 20).
“It’s just amazing, I cannot believe it,” she said. “That container (skip) could have gone anywhere.”
Mr Chandler added: “God knows how it got all the way over there.”
The couple were already planning to go to Las Vegas next year to celebrate Mr Chandler’s 50th and may well use the occasion to renew their wedding vows – taking extra care not to lose any rings.