Next stop matrimony for steam enthusiasts after proposal at Ramsey rally
- Credit: Archant
It’s full steam ahead for a couple of steam engine enthusiasts who took their relationship up a gear at the weekend.
George Lee, 26, got down on one knee and proposed to girlfriend Caz Mercer in front of friends, family and members of the public at the Miniature and More Rally at the Ramsey Rural Museum, on Saturday.
Event organiser, Mr Lee said: “Our friends were there and so were both our families so it was the perfect time to propose – she had no idea.”
The couple meet three years ago at a steam rally in Skegness where Miss Mercer, 32, was celebrating her friend’s birthday.
She said: “I wasn’t a fan of the steam rallies before I met George but once we met I started going along to them more and more.
“It was such a surprise that he proposed to me, I didn’t expect it.”
The happy couple are unsure as yet whether their wedding will have a steam theme to the day.
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 3 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 4 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 5 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 6 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 7 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 8 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 9 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 10 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
Along with the merriment, the weekend hosted more than a dozen traction engines, six fire appliances and six classic cars.
Mr Lee said: “It was a great event, this was the first proper year that we have put on the display and we will certainly be organising another one next year.”
As a part of the event more than 100 visitors donated to the Fire Fighters Charity and raised more than £800 for the organisation.