Next stop matrimony for steam enthusiasts after proposal at Ramsey rally
- Credit: Archant
It’s full steam ahead for a couple of steam engine enthusiasts who took their relationship up a gear at the weekend.
George Lee, 26, got down on one knee and proposed to girlfriend Caz Mercer in front of friends, family and members of the public at the Miniature and More Rally at the Ramsey Rural Museum, on Saturday.
Event organiser, Mr Lee said: “Our friends were there and so were both our families so it was the perfect time to propose – she had no idea.”
The couple meet three years ago at a steam rally in Skegness where Miss Mercer, 32, was celebrating her friend’s birthday.
She said: “I wasn’t a fan of the steam rallies before I met George but once we met I started going along to them more and more.
You may also want to watch:
“It was such a surprise that he proposed to me, I didn’t expect it.”
The happy couple are unsure as yet whether their wedding will have a steam theme to the day.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 4 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
- 7 'Trolley waits' hit high for trust that oversees Hinchingbrooke Hospital
- 8 Man charged after knife found in St Neots police raid
- 9 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
Along with the merriment, the weekend hosted more than a dozen traction engines, six fire appliances and six classic cars.
Mr Lee said: “It was a great event, this was the first proper year that we have put on the display and we will certainly be organising another one next year.”
As a part of the event more than 100 visitors donated to the Fire Fighters Charity and raised more than £800 for the organisation.