Newly married Huntingdon couple claim reception was cut short as ‘not enough money was spent at the bar’
- Credit: Archant
A wedding party claims its reception was cut short after a disagreement between venue staff and a wedding guest.
Julie and Peter Edwards, of Coldhams North, Huntingdon, had married at the town’s register office and were celebrating with around 40 guests at Huntingdon Boat Club, Riverside Park, on Saturday, August 2.
They paid £50 for the hire – money the club has returned as a goodwill gesture – along with a £50 deposit to stay from 11am until 11pm.
But five hours into the party, the newly-weds claim they were told the venue would be closing early as not enough was being spent at the bar.
The boat club says this is not true. It says one guest was drinking her own drinks and had been abusive to its staff – only she was asked to leave.
You may also want to watch:
Chairman Graham Adams said: “We couldn’t agree with the woman so we asked her to leave and everyone went with her.”
The wedding party admits there was a problem with a guest who then left, but says they had to move their celebrations to a town centre pub.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 9 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
Mrs Edwards, 36, said: “We were having a perfectly nice afternoon and then at about 4pm they told us we had to leave as they weren’t making enough money behind the bar, so we all had to go to the Cromwells.”
Photographer and guest Gary Britton said: “A friend of ours offered them a cheque and asked them how much it would cost to keep this party going, and they weren’t even interested in that, which is really surprising.
“I was really upset as it was their wedding day. It was really unfair.”
The couple have been together for two years. Mrs Edwards said they chose the boat club because they were hoping for good weather and wanted pictures by the river.
Mr Adams said he is in contact with the Edwards.