New shed initiative aiming to combat social isolation in Huntingdonshire
- Credit: Archant
An initiative to encourage men and women to come together and work on building projects has arrived in Huntingdonshire.
Based on the Men’s Sheds idea which started in Australia, RamShed invites those out of work or at the end of their careers to share resources and develop projects for either themselves, the group’s shed or their community, at their base in Bury.
The aim is to combat social isolation, boredom and depression by giving members a chance to socialise and make new friends, as research has shown the negative effect solitude has on health and wellbeing.
Chairman Mick Arthur explained the reasoning behind starting up RamShed.
He said: “I went to Australia and [the Men’s Sheds association] over there is very good, so I thought I’d set up a local one here.
“RamShed is important in several ways. It gets people out, learning new skills and helping the community.”
Mr Arthur explained how the group mainly works with wood, but is looking to branch out into using other mediums too. As well as their material range, RamShed is also aiming expand its membership.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 3 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 4 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 8 Councillors vote to continue school transport for special needs schools
- 9 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 10 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
He said: “We have around 23 members now, and we hope to grow bigger.”
If you are interested in finding out more about the group, call the secretary on 07950 978280, or visit the website for more information: www.hugofox.com/community/ramsey-cambridgeshire-men-s-shed-13654/about-us.