New owners hoping to give gym-goers a lift
- Credit: Archant
A new gym has opened its door in Huntingdon to help expand the appeal of bodybuilding in the town.
Sylvester Wacko and Mark Nightingale opened Evo Gym, in Clifton Road, on May 1, taking over from the former Musclecraft gym.
“Me and my wife had a little gym just for personal training but we wanted to expand. We heard that the owner of Musclecraft was selling and we just bought it,” said Sylvester, from Peterborough.
“We thought the gym had much bigger potential than what was currently there. We were thinking that because there are around seven similar gyms in Peterborough,
Huntingdon would be perfect as this is the only one in the area.”
Since taking over the gym Sylvester, his wife, Emma, and Mark, have revamped the unit by bringing in new equipment, new personal trainers and they have redecorated.
“We want to spread the news that this gym isn’t just a gym for men, it is a gym for guys and girls,” Sylvester, 35, said.
- 1 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 2 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 3 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 4 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 5 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 9 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 10 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
“We are both [Sylvester and Emma] competing bodybuilders and that’s our passion and that’s what we like to do.”
Following its opening earlier this month, the gym has already had more than 30 new members sign up including older people and some with disabilities.
“We are very happy with how it is going, the atmosphere has been brilliant,” added Sylvester.
Sylvester started training as a bodybuilder when he was in the armed forces.
He said: “I was also training as a power lifter then I was invited to train to compete in a body building show and then I started winning.”
To find out more about the gym search Evo Gym on Facebook, or call 01480