New homes plan for Cambs former RAF base
SCALED-back plans for a housing development have been submitted for RAF Upwood.
Developer Strawsons Property has lodged plans with Huntingdonshire District Council for “no more than 160” homes on the site – a previous application had been for at least 650 houses.
The application, if granted, would allow the firm to demolish and convert some of the former defence buildings to create about two hectares of employment land alongside housing and the necessary infrastructure and open space.
The development would include about 14.5 hectares of land in total.
Strawsons has twice been refused planning permission for the former airfield. On the last occasion the decision was referred to Eric Pickles, Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, who said the plans for at least 650 houses and 10 hectares of employment were not in keeping with HDC’s long-term development plans.
You may also want to watch:
STEP back in time this Saturday with the Sawtry branch of the Royal British Legion.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Huntingdon assistant land buyer wins graduate award from her peers
The group is holding a 1940s day where displays of 40’s memorabilia, military re-enactments and a visit by ‘Winston Churchill’. Period songs and exhibits of vintage equipment and other vehicles will also be on display.
INFORMATION: The event takes place on September 8 between noon and 5pm at the Ex-Servicemen’s Club, Gidding Road, Sawtry. Admission is free.