New community shop opens in Great Paxton after three-year fund-raising campaign
- Credit: Archant
A new community shop in Great Paxton has finally opened its doors after a three-year fund-raising project.
The Great Paxton Community Village Shop was officially opened on November 18 by the chairman of Huntingdonshire District Council, Richard West.
The village has not had a village shop for five years and a fund-raising committee was set up three years ago to the £50,000 needed to get the project off the ground.
“The money has been raised through selling community shop shares, by holding events, such as a big band night, beetle drives and race nights,” said Jackie Baines who worked on the project.
“However the bulk of the funding was raised with support from The Princes’ Countryside Fund and Cambridge Community Foundation grants. We also secured money from Huntingdonshire Community Chest Fund, the Tesco Bags of Help and Waitrose Community Matters schemes,” she added.
The community shop has a part-time manager working alongside volunteers and will be every day. All profits raised from the shop will be given back to the community.
The shop will sell general groceries, newspapers as well as local produce, including fresh seasonal vegetables. It will also be selling freshly brewed coffee and ready-made sandwiches and rolls.
- 1 Cambridgeshire zoo 'devastated' following death of white Bengal tiger
- 2 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 3 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 4 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 5 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 8 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
“It is hoped that the new shop will be a hub of the community – where people can meet up for a chat as well as do a bit of shopping,” said Jackie.
INFO: email: firstname.lastname@example.org. The shop is based at 48a High Street, Great Paxton.