Neighbour’s quick thinking enables firefighters to save Fenland woman from house on fire

A WOMAN was rescued from her Chatteris house by firefighters this morning after her neighbour was alerted by a fire alarm.

Crews from Chatteris, Sutton and March were called to the house, in Haighs Close, at 1.54am after a neighbour checked the property after hearing a fire alarm going off. Firefighters entered the building and were able to rescue the woman inside.

A fire spokesman said the cause of the fire was something cooking under a grill in the kitchen. “The quick thinking of the neighbour prevented a fire that could have very serious,” he said, “This shows the emphasis of the need to have fire alarms in homes.”

Fire crews returned to base by 2.28am.


You may also want to watch:


Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter