Name for new Huntingdon Wetherspoon pub is revealed
- Credit: Archant
The results are in... The Harlequin will be the name for Huntingdon’s J D Wetherspoon pub as voted for by Hunts Post readers.
The company shared its ideas for the moniker of its £2.3million investment in the town and asked readers to have their say.
The Harlequin received 162 votes, compared with 155 for The Mail Room, and 120 for The Sorting Office. Its other options were far less popular - with just one vote for The Old Post Office, two votes for The George Hall, and three votes for Sandford House.
However, readers also put forward 18 of their own ideas, which were passed on to the company for consideration.
The names suggested included The Swallow, The Cromwell, The Pathfinder, The Penny Black, The Windover, The George and Cannon and The Edison Bell.
You may also want to watch:
The company is awaiting the outcome of its planning application from Huntingdonshire District Council. Its proposals include a 22-bedroom hotel in addition to the pub for which it will renovate the former post office, sorting office and George Hall, just off the ring road in George Street.
Last week, an HDC spokesman said that it was “very close to a decision”, but it had not been made by the time The Hunts Post went to press.
- 1 Emergency services close St Neots road after medical emergency
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 4 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 5 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 6 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 7 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 8 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Haul of weapons including a knuckleduster seized from Little Paxton home
Wetherspoon founder and chairman Tim Martin said: “We are delighted that so many readers of the Hunts Post took the time and trouble to cast their votes for the name for the new Wetherspoon pub in their town.
“We take the naming of our pubs seriously and are always keen to have a link to the town itself.
“It is wonderful that as well as choosing from the list of pub names we provided, a number of readers also put forward their own original ideas.
“Ultimately we have decided to choose the most popular, The Harlequin.
“We are looking forward to opening our new pub in Huntingdon and having the name, The Harlequin, adorn it.”