Councillor wants apology for Nadine Dorries 'misogynist' tweet
- Credit: PA/Twitter
A Huntingdonshire district councillor has made an official complaint after receiving this Tweet from MP Nadine Dorries in 2015.
John Morris, who represents Brampton and Hinchingbrooke, has made an official complaint to the Parliamentary Standards Commission after someone passed the Tweet on to him this week.
He said: "I was appalled. It came to my attention earlier this week and even though it was sent in 2015, I have decided to make an official complaint.
"I know Nadine Dorries is thought of as a bit of a character and has a reputation for shooting from the hip, but it is appalling. Misogyny should be taken seriously and this tweet serves only to devalue the real issue.
"I don't want her to lose her job, I just want an apology.
“It is more than ironic that at a time the government is working to pass its Online Safety Bill, which seeks to introduce controls and punishments for online abuse, at the same time the Secretary of State for Digital if herself dishing out on-line abuse” said Cllr Morris.
Nadine Dorries was appointed Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport on 15 September 2021.
- 1 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 4 St Ives man undergoes pioneering heart treatment
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 7 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 8 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 9 Hundreds gather to see Santa on The Quay in St Ives
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
Cllr Morris has asked the Commission to investigate Nadine Dorries and advise if there has been a breach of the code of MP's conduct.
He told the Commission: "If there has been a breach I would welcome an apology from the MP. Some may think that not only does Nadine speak without thinking, as had been claimed in the past, she also tweets without thinking."
The Hunts Post has approached Nadine Dorries for a comment.
Nadine Dorries is the MP for Mid Bedfordshire.