Mother ‘struggled to come to terms’ with death of daughter, inquest hears

Lawrence Court, Huntingdon,

Lawrence Court, Huntingdon, - Credit: Archant

A mother who struggled to cope after her daughter’s death was found dead after taking an overdose, an inquest has heard.

A mother who struggled to cope following the death of her daughter was found dead after taking an overdose, an inquest has heard.

Jane Hector’s body was discovered at her home in Elm Close, Huntingdon, on the evening of January 17, after concerns were raised for her welfare by her brother.

The inquest, at Lawrence Court, in Huntingdon, heard that Ms Hector had spoken to her brother the day before she died and said that she was feeling suicidal.

David Morris, assistant coroner for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, said: “She said she was feeling suicidal and had bought a bottle of vodka and had all the tablets lined up – she wanted to be with her daughter.”

The hearing was told that Ms Hector, 48, had struggled since her daughter, Chantelle Garside, committed suicide in April 2012, and it had been increasingly difficult as it was approaching what would have been her daughter’s 21st birthday.

In a statement, Ms Hector’s brother said that he thought he had managed to “talk her out of it” and decided not to contact police.

Most Read

The inquest heard that he wasn’t able to contact her on January 17 so asked some friends, who lived locally, to visit Ms Hector but there was no response. The police were subsequently called.

A post mortem was carried out by Dr Martin Goddard, at Papworth Hospital, which found that Ms Hector had taken ‘above therapeutic levels’ of antidepressants.

A report by Dr Goddard also noted that she had 230 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood in her system. The legal drink drive limit is 35 micrograms.

Mr Morris told the hearing that Ms Hector had suffered with depression following the death of her daughter, who was found hanged at the age of 16.

Mr Morris recorded a conclusion that Ms Hector had committed suicide.

He said: “The intention of this lady was quite clear, never having come to terms with her daughter’s death and particularly around the time when her daughter would have been 21 years of age.

“Despite the fact that she had support of her brother and family she never-the-less decided that she wanted to her own life.”