Morrisons store in St Ives gets the go-ahead
- Credit: Archant
St Ives is set for a new supermarket after receiving planning permission.
Morrisons and landowners Endurance Estates will be able to build a 2,880sq m store next to Harrison Way, south of the Marsh Harrier, after planners at Huntingdonshire District Council approved its plans.
There were 140 public comments sent to HDC as part of the consultation, of which eight were against and 131 were for the new shop.
The store, which will be built on stilts to not exacerbate flooding issues in the area, will be open from 7am to 10pm Monday to Saturday and 10am to 4pm on Sundays and its petrol station will be open from 6am to 11pm.
Morrisons will also not be able to dedicate more than 20 per cent of the shopfloor to sell clothing, footwear, household and recreational goods to “safeguard the viability and vitality of St Ives town centre”.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the supermarket would not be drawn into when it will be built, saying it was too soon after gaining approval for a timescale.
Around 250 jobs will be created when it is open.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 3 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 4 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 5 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 6 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k