More toilets in St Ives in time for Jubilee and Olympic torch events
ST Ives will have additional public toilets open in time for the summer’s Jubilee and Olympic torch events after the town council agreed to find a further �4,000 to re-open the Globe Place facilities.
St Ives Town Council was told that St Ives was expecting around 5-10,000 people to visit the town on July 8 when the Olympic torch passes through, and thousands are also expect to visit for the Jubilee celebrations.
But the only current provision for public loos is at the bus station.
Councillors agreed last month to pay �8,000 to refit and reopen the Globe Place car park toilets and asked Huntingdonshire District Council to contribute �4,000 as it had stripped the facilities bare to refurbish the Riverside car park toilets in Huntingdon.
HDC wrote to the town saying “there was no enthusiasm to make a financial contribution” – leaving the town councillors fuming.
The council agreed to pay the extra �4,000 but said it was unhappy at HDC’s actions.
“It is simply wrong that the residents of St Ives are being forced to pay twice for these facilities,” Councillor David Hodge said. “We paid for them to be refurbished a few years ago and will have to pay again.”
- 1 Man, 37, named as A14 death crash victim
- 2 St Neots man who put 'fear into the lives' of his victims is jailed
- 3 John Caldwell names as new president of rotary club
- 4 Jail for St Neots man described as 'exceptionally dangerous'
- 5 Man sentenced after DNA found on drugs in a Huntingdon home
- 6 Huntingdon and Godmanchester celebrate 40-year twinning anniversary in Germany
- 7 B1514 Brampton Road closure extended for Saturday
- 8 Public advised to "use water wisely" after driest July since 1935
- 9 Editor Debbie Davies writes about her experience in Soham 20 years ago
- 10 Rotary club donates more than £1,100 to police boxing club
Jason Ablewhite, town councillor and HDC executive leader, told councillors they could not expect the district council to find money halfway through the year and suggested they ask again in November.
The toilets are expected to reopen in two months.